- If you undertake research on people or animals, you should seek ethical approval, where appropriate, using the relevant research ethics approval process.
- In the UK, the routes to ethical approval are:
- university ethics committees
- The Research Ethics Service, which is part of the Health Research Authority.299
- If your research involves even one NHS patient or record you should apply for ethical approval using the HRA Approval system.
- University research will be subject to the ethics processes in place at the individual institution.
- You must get consent from the research participants before involving them in any research project. For people who are unable to consent you will need to make an additional application.
298 General Optical Council (2016) Standards of Practice for Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians [Accessed 20 Nov 2020]
299 Health Research Authoriry. Research Ethics Service and Research Ethics Committees [Accessed 20 Nov 2020]