Integrity and conflicts of interest
- You must ensure that your financial and commercial practices do not compromise patient safety.250
- You must be honest in your financial and commercial dealings with patients, colleagues, employers, insurers and other organisations.
- You must not accept inducements or gifts that may be seen as affecting your patient care or your recommendation of a course of action, for example referring a patient to a particular clinic.256
- You must never accept gifts or hospitality that may affect, or be seen to affect, your professional judgement.
- You must be honest about and declare any conflict, or perceived conflict of interest. This applies to your practice as well as related activities such as attending meetings and giving lectures.
- You must only refer a patient to a colleague if this is in the patient’s best interests, rather than for your own, or a colleague’s, financial gain or benefit.
See section on Partnership with patients.
250 General Optical Council (2016) Standards of practice for optometrists and dispensing opticians [Accessed 10 Nov 2017]
256 Bribery Act 2010