- If you are prescribing antimicrobial drugs you should:130
- consider alternative options and only prescribe antimicrobials when this is clinically appropriate
- be aware of local guidelines on antimicrobial prescribing
- not issue an immediate prescription for an antimicrobial to a patient who is likely to have a self-limiting condition
- only issue repeat prescriptions for antimicrobials if these are needed for a particular clinical condition or indication.
130 National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (2015) NG15 Antimicrobial stewardship [Accessed 30 Oct 2017]