Conducting eye examinations in a residential home
- When carrying out eye examinations in a residential home you should (refer to COVID-19 guidance):
- be aware that some residents may already be established patients of other practitioners
- try to support carers by labelling spectacles in a way that is suitable in terms of the patient’s dignity, infection control and type of frame supplied
- when appropriate, provide a brief report to the carers which might assist in the general care of the patient80
- be prepared to examine individuals as well as groups of patients, as required
- ensure that the examinations are provided in a private area taking into account issues of confidentiality and dignity.
80 Details of when this is appropriate are in the section on Consent.