Conducting eye examinations in a residential home
- In addition, when carrying out eye examinations in a residential home you should:
- be aware that some residents may already be established patients of other practitioners
- try to support carers by labelling spectacles. This should be suitable in terms of the patient’s dignity, infection control and type of frame supplied
- when appropriate, provide a brief report to the carers which might assist in the general care of the patient55
- be prepared to examine individuals as well as groups of patients, as required, and
- ensure that the examinations are provided in a private area taking into account issues of confidentiality and dignity.
55 Details of when this is appropriate are in the section on Consent.