The College of Optometrists

In-house glazing

If you assemble spectacles, you must register with the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).123 This applies to: 
  1. practices that carry out their own glazing
  2. practices where the frame is traced and lenses edged remotely, prior to assembly in the practice
  3. new products and does not relate to reglazing patients’ own frames.


123 MHRA Register as a manufacturer to sell medical devices [Accessed 19 Nov 2020]

Winner of Memcom 2016 award for best microsite

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7839 6000



Website developed by NetXtra