Advising patients before assessing and fitting
- Before fitting powered or zero powered (plano) contact lenses, you should discuss options with patients so they have enough information to make an informed choice. In particular, you should discuss:
- the risks and complications of wearing contact lenses, including the need to avoid exposure of contact lenses to water, including tap, shower, hot tub and swimming pool water, and the consequences of not complying with advice about how to wear contact lenses safely
- the advantages and disadvantages of available lens types, those that are most appropriate and the reasons for this
- any contraindicated lens types and the reasons for this
- care systems of different lens types and the risks of incorrect use of appropriate care systems for contact lenses and non-compliance with general contact lens related hygiene, and
- total estimated costs.