Develop and maintain competence
- You must keep your professional knowledge and skills up-to-date1 so you continue to practise safely (refer to COVID-19 guidance).
- You must keep up-to-date with the law, the GOC’s Standards of Practice and guidance that is relevant to your work.
- You should be familiar with guidance issued by The College of Optometrists and other relevant bodies (refer to COVID-19 guidance).
- You should be familiar with developments that affect your work and with changes in practice, the needs of patients and eye care services.
- You should take steps to monitor, reflect on, and improve the quality of your work, for example through clinical audit 2, 3 and peer review.4
- If you take a break from practising for a significant amount of time, you should ensure your knowledge and skills are up-to-date before returning to optometric practice.
1 General Optical Council (2016) Standards of Practice for Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians. [Accessed 18 Nov 2020]
2 College of Optometrists (2015) Clinical Governance in Optometric Practice. [Accessed 18 Nov 2020]
3 College of Optometrists (2015) Clinical Audit in Optometric Practice. [Accessed 18 Nov 2020]
4 College of Optometrists (2017) Peer Discussion and Peer Review. [Accessed 18 Nov 2020]