Principles of contact lens supply
- If you supply a contact lens you should ensure that it meets the specification (refer to COVID-19 guidance).
- If you supply a contact lens you must make arrangements for the patient to receive aftercare in so far as, and for as long as, may be reasonable.137
- You must give patients the same degree of care when supplying powered or zero powered (plano) contact lenses.
- Contact lenses may be supplied (refer to COVID-19 guidance):138, 139
- You must not supply powered contact lenses to a patient who does not have a valid contact lens specification.
137 Opticians Act 1989 s27(3B) [Accessed 19 Nov 2020]
138 General Optical Council (2006) Statement on sale and supply of optical appliances [Accessed 19 Nov 2020 ]
139 Opticians Act 1989 s27(1)(b) and s27(3)(d) [Accessed 19 Nov 2020]