- Social media is about communicating using internet-based applications such as forums, blogs and social networking sites.
- You should maintain standards of professional communication even when using social media.
- Social media can support your work by sharing information in professional networks.
- There are risks to using informal means of communication and any online postings you make are subject to the laws of copyright and defamation.
- You should maintain your own, and patient, privacy to protect personal information.
- You should be aware that anonymity is difficult to maintain when using social media.
- You should declare any conflicts of interest when posting material online.
- You should refer to sections on Confidentiality, Partnership with patients, Maintaining boundaries and Working with colleagues.