- You should think carefully before pursuing a personal relationship with a former patient or carer. However consensual a relationship appears to be, if a complaint is made, the onus will always be on you to show you have acted professionally and sought appropriate advice.276
- A sexual or personal relationship with a former patient or their carer may be inappropriate because:
- your former professional relationship may still influence the relationship
- if the patient was vulnerable when they were under your care, may still be vulnerable
- you may still be caring for other members of the patient’s family.